I do love Indian food and we have it at least once a month. One of my favorite Indian dish is butter chicken with vegetable rice. Ever since I got my slow cooker, I no longer prepare it in the pan. This is yet another slow cooker meal you can add to your meal plan. It is simple, quick to prepare and simply delicious with a touch of coconut if you like.
- 800g ca 2lb chicken breast cubed into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil like olive (read important note)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 medium sized shallot onion finely grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup ca 200g plain natural yogurt or heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or chicken stock (If you do not like or have coconut milk)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili powder as desired (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves to garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on high heat. Sear the chicken to turn brown for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker with a slotted spoon and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the onions and cook them until succulent for about 3 minutes, then add garlic and ginger pastes and cook for a minute or 2. Follow with garam masala, turmeric powder, chili powder (if used) and pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and salt and cook for a minute, then add the coconut milk or chicken stock and scrape bottom of the pan with wooden spoon and pour sauce over chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the melted butter to the slow cooker.
- If you are using plain natural yogurt, stir it in at this point. If you are using heavy whipping cream you will add it in 30 minutes to the end of cooking time.
- Set/start your slow cooker to cook on slow for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Serve with steamed rice, vegetable rice or naan.
Important note: If you do not have time, you can skip searing and all pan cooking and just simply add all your ingredients to the slow cooker at a go then follow step 6 and 7. Searing and other pan cooking adds more flavor to your butter chicken but skipping these steps will also get you delicious slow cooker butter chicken. You will not need oil in your ingredients if you skip these.
I hope you enjoy this slow cooker recipe. How do you prepare your butter chicken? Cheers.