Child birth may come with stress especially if you do not have enough support. You will have to take care of your baby’s needs like feeding, changing diapers while on the other hand you have to take care of your healing body and sometimes dealing with postpartum emotions. It can get worse if you have older kids to take care of and with all this, you can even forget taking care of yourself. So always remind yourself that taking care of you first is the only way you will be able to take care of your baby and family well. Like you read in the previous post, an afterbirth sitz birth is one of the things that you an treat yourself to in order to promote fast healing. Whether you give birth vaginally or by c section a sitz birth will come with healing benefits which include;
- Speed up healing especially associated with perineum tears.
- Soothes soreness
- Soothing and healing hemorrhoids
- Prevents infections.
The following recipe is for a sitz bath which is placed on top of the toilet mainly for c section moms who must not take baths until approved by the doctor to do so but for full baths you can double or triple the recipe.
- 1/2 cup Epsom salt or sea salt
- 1/4 cup red raspberry leaf
- 1/4 cup lavender flowers or 8 drops pure lavender essential oil
- 1/4 cup chamomile flowers or 8 drops pure chamomile essential oil
- 2 tablespoons witch hazel
- 1/4 cup yarrow flowers
- 1/4 cup Calendula flowers
- 1/4 cup plantain leaf
Directions for use
- For use in the sitz bath: Add all ingredients in the sitz bath and add boiling water to the bath. Allow the temperature to go down that it is hot but not so hot to burn you. Sit in the bath and soak for at least 20 minutes.
- For use in the bath tub: Add all dry ingredients apart from salt to a Muslin bag. Fill a bath tub with water as hot as possible and add the muslin bag to the water as well as any wet ingredients and the salt. Allow the herbs to steep, the salt to dissolve and the water temperature to drop that it is not too hot to burn you and soak in for as long as desired. NOTE: It is recommended to soak once a day if you have stitches and as often as you like if you have none.
- You can brew the ingredients in a Peri bottle and use the solution every after using the bathroom.
- You can also use the solution on the baby’s cord to promote healing.
If you are looking for the perfect gift for a new mom this is one perfect gift. You can also buy readily available afterbirth sitz bath in case you prefer or are unable to make it yourself.